THE HISTORY OF ECORSE PUBLIC
On Sunday, December 12, 1948, Ecorse Public Library was formally opened
and dedicated by Mayor William Vosine. The
Ecorse Public Library was designed by
Dearborn architects Bennett
and Straight and was voted one of the finest small libraries in the
country by the American Library Association. The
library was built from funds accumulated during the war for permanent
post-war improvements. Many county and state officials
attended the dedication, such as Councilman Ormal Goodell; Councilman
Theodore Marcott; Judge Alger Salliotte; Arthu r Erickson, Chairman of Ecorse Library
Commission; William Van Dyke, Chairman of Wayne County Public Library
Board; and Reverend Leonard Duckett, Pastor of
the Ecorse Presbyterian Church.
The b uilding, which was made completely fire proof, was
constructed of stone and brick and cost with its equipment
$150,000.00. The main floor was divided into an adult
section and a children’s section and in the basement, an auditorium was
built. The old Ecorse Public Library was located in the DeWallot building.
In 1922, public library books were first made available
in the Village of
Under the direction of Mrs. Loleta Dawson
Fyan, then county librarian, a small collection
of books from the Wayne County Library Service was placed in a corner of
Loveland’s Pharmacy to be
submerged under by seasonal tides of Christmas cards, Easter candies, and
firecrackers. In 1923, Burt Loveland decided to move his business into larger
quarters and he provided space for the library.
In 1925, the Ecorse Public Library service was
discontinued due to inadequate space for an increased book
collection. It was reestablished on March 22,
1926; for the first time the
public library was housed in separate quarters. The
library moved into the DeWallot building with a
collection of 600 volumes and Mrs. Ada B.
Saunders was appointed branch librarian. By 1929, there
were four members in the library staff.
Later, Mrs. Saunder and Mrs.
Fyan opened two other local libraries: one in
the Municipal building and one on Visger Road.
1945, the first Ecorse Library Commission was appointed
by Acting Mayor Theodore Marcott.
When William Vosine became mayor in 1945,
he promised citizens of Ecorse a new, modern public library and he kept
his promise, by making sure money was appropriated from the Post-War fund
for its construction.